Gardening · Homesteading

Dealing With Microclimates

At our old house, in Maple Valley, Wa, our grow zone was considered 8A. However, I treated it as a 7B due to late freezes in early spring. Where we live now, in Freeland, Wa, it is zone 8A. So same zone, right? You can have it on paper that it is, but microclimate… Continue reading Dealing With Microclimates

Gardening · Homesteading

Growing Alpine Strawberry Plants From Seed

Finding a hobby you love is a cool thing. Especially one you had no idea you would love. I've always loved growing strawberry plants, for as long as I can remember, but I had never tried growing from seed. Most growers of strawberries don't grow their own plants, it's considerably easier to buy bare-root plants… Continue reading Growing Alpine Strawberry Plants From Seed

Gardening · Homesteading

Turning Fields Into Growing Land

When asked what we are doing to our land, my answer is modern homesteading. Converting back fallow fields to farmland, but using modern gear to get the job(s) done faster, and easier. When we bought our property this past winter, we went into it knowing it had a lot of work ahead for us. It… Continue reading Turning Fields Into Growing Land

Gardening · Markets

Adding Value To Farm Produce Sales

I was talking with a fellow attendee from last summer's profitable market gardening workshop in Kelowna, B.C., and he asked me how did I add value to sales at our farm this past summer. If you are in an area with a lot of farms, and a lot of the same items for sale, you… Continue reading Adding Value To Farm Produce Sales

Gardening · Homesteading

April On The Homestead

March was a blur for me. It was buying, selling, and moving homes. I got so little done. But April I started the month overwhelmed, and slowly found my way. It started rainy, and ended rainy. And in the middle we actually had some nice, if very windy, days. It feels odd to leave the… Continue reading April On The Homestead