Not a sweet bread, but neither is it savory. The vanilla comes through as an essence, and pairs well slathered with butter. Pairs well as sandwich bread or served with a thick soup.
Sour Cream and Vanilla Bread
- ½ cup water
- 1/3 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp butter, diced up and softened
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 3 cups (360 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
Add ingredients in order recommended by your bread machine. Use the temperature recommended for the water.
Select the regular or basic cycle on your machine, with a light crust color.
Once baked, remove immediately and cool on a rack.
Makes a 1½ pound loaf.
We use a Zojirushi Bread Machine, which does up to a 2 pound loaf. It preheats the liquids for the dough.