Winter comfort food. There is something about one pot meals that make the soul happy, on the cold evenings in winter. Even our youngest boys loved this skillet dish, and we served it with the gluten-free waffles I posted earlier this week. Simplicity. And any leftovers go great in an egg scramble the next morning.
Beef and Sweet Potato Skillet
- 2 Tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and bite size chop
- 1 Tbsp garlic, diced
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
In a large heavy skillet heat the oil over medium-high. Add in the beef, onion, and bell pepper. Cook until meat is done, breaking it up.
Add in the sweet potatoes and garlic. Reduce heat to medium, covering tightly.
Let cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat as needed.
Lower heat to medium-low, top with cheese, cover tightly to melt cheese.
Serves 4 to 6.