I played with a few recipes recently and came up with these double chocolate chip muffins. They are gluten-free and were accidentally vegan (meaning I wasn’t setting out for them to be that way…but hey, win-win).
Double Chocolate Muffins
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp avocado or similar oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup unsweetened oat milk
- ½ cup brown sugar, not packed
- 2 to 3 ripe bananas, mashed to make 1 cup
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (vegan if desired)
Preheat oven to 350°, line a 12 count muffin tin with paper liners.
Add oats through salt into blender, process until finely powdered. Knock into a large mixing bowl.
Whisk vanilla through bananas together, add to the oats and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
Divide batter between muffin cups. Bake for 30 minutes, or until muffins are done on top.
Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before popping out. Store leftover muffins in refrigerator, tightly sealed for up to 2 days.
Muffins freeze well for long term storage.