A warming soup that has a sweet profile from the vegetables, it’s based on storage produce – carrots, onions, apples and yams/sweet potatoes.
The soup is plant-based if you use vegetable broth/stock.
Fall Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions (any color, we used red), peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and chopped into 1″ pieces
- 1½ pounds red skinned yams (sweet potatoes), peeled and chopped into 1″ pieces
- 2 crisp apples, medium size, peeled, cored and chopped
- 8 cups lower sodium broth, chicken or vegetable
- Sour cream, if desired
Heat a large stockpot over medium, add in the butter and melt.
Add in the onion, saute for 10 minutes, stirring often.
Add the curry powder, toss gently to coat.
Add the carrots, yams, apples and broth. Cover pot, bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium-low, let simmer for 25 minutes covered.
Turn off the burner, process the soup in 2 batches in a blender until mostly smooth. (Cover the blender with a towel to ensure you don’t burn yourself while blending.)
Return to the pot, taste for salt, if needed.
Serve with sour cream to stir in, if desired. About a Tablespoon per bowl is nice.